Bilberry: For Healthy Vision
• Shown to improve night vision
• Supports optimal eye health
• Supports healthy circulation
• Supports healthy immune function
What is it and where does it come from?
Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) is a perennial small-branched shrubby fruit-bearing plant. Bilberry is native to Europe and western Asia, and is related closely to blueberries and currants. Bilberry is also known as whortleberry, black whortles, whinberry, trackleberry, huckleberry, hurts, bleaberry, hurtleberry, airelle, vaccinium frondosum, and European blueberries.
These fruits contain tannins and the vitamins A and C. Bilberry has been used to treat a variety of minor medical conditions since the 16th century. During WWII, British pilots noticed that their night vision improved after eating bilberries.
Since then, research has found that bilberry also may be useful for other eye disorders and it is considered to be the leading herb for supporting optimal eye health. Scientists also believe that bilberry can lessen free radical damage by strengthening capillaries and improving blood flow. Bilberry is a potent antioxidant and may strengthen collagen in the ligaments, tendons and cartilage.
What does it do and what scientific studies give eveidence to support its effects?
As a source of vitamins A and C and anthocyanosides, bilberries are a source of antioxidants. Antioxidants scavenge the body for free radicals and eliminate them before they can damage muscle tissue, vital organs, or DNA.
In addition to having antioxidant effects, anthocyanosides are also clinically proven to promote blood vessel health and proper circulation. Improved circulation may lead to vasodilation, enhanced vision, the prevention of macular degeneration, improved joint health, increased blood flow to the brain, normalise blood clotting, supply the nervous system with blood, and reduce blood pressure.
Indeed, bilberry has been used anecdotally to enhance vision, to increase blood supply to smooth and skeletal muscle tissue and to reduce blood pressure.
As a source of quinic acid, bilberry - like its cousin the cranberry plant - may be useful for treating urinary tract infections and kidney stones. Additionally, clinical trials indicate that quinic acid may have beneficial effects on the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
The tannins in bilberry have been used successfully to speed wound healing after dental surgeries, and reduce throat inflammation arising from flues, colds and allergy attacks. Tannins are also effective as a treatment for diarrhea.
Bilberry has been successfully used by insulin-dependant diabetics to reduce the need for insulin administration. Researchers believe that glucoquinine - a compound in bilberry that's proven to reduce blood-sugar levels - is responsible for this effect.
Why should you take Bilberry?
• Chronic venous insufficiency: Bilberry has been studied for a condition called chronic venous insufficiency. This term is more common in Europe than in the United States. It describes several different problems that may be caused by failure of the lower leg veins to work correctly. These problems include leg swelling (edema), pain, itching, varicose veins, breakdown of skin and skin ulcers. Early evidence suggests that bilberry may improve blood flow in the legs.
• Eye health: Early studies suggest that bilberry may improve blood flow to the eyes and may be beneficial in treating disorders of the retina. Other studies report that bilberry may slow the progression of cataracts.
• Women Health: Early evidence suggests that bilberry may reduce menstrual cramps and may improve fibrocystic diseases of the breast.
• Recommended Dosage: Typical daily dosage ranges from 90 to 180 mgs.
• If you are pregnant or lactating consult your health care practitioner prior to taking Bilberry.
• There are no known reports of toxicity associated with Bilberry.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 120
Amount Per Serving:
• Bilberry (fruit): 90mg
25% anthocyanosides: 22mg
Other Ingredients: Rice Powder, Magnesium Stearate, Cellulose.
Net Weight: 65g
Take one (1) capsule, one to three times daily.
Warning: If you are pregnant or lactating, consult a health care professional before using this product. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the safety seal on the bottle is broken.