SAMe: For your mood, joints and your liver!
SAMe may help with:
• Natural mind & mood enhancer
• May help ease back & knee pain
• Supports joint health, comfort & mobility
• Promotes a healthy, cleansed liver
• Support long-term brain health
Much of the SAMe being sold does not meet scientifically accepted standards. The SAM-e molecule has two forms, one is the SS isomer (known as the active isomer) and the other is the RS isomer (known as the inactive isomer). All SAME-e contains percentages of both. The accepted levels for potency of SAM-e require a minimum of 70% SS (active) isomer content. BIOVEA’s SAM-e tests at 74% or higher. Most manufacturers use 50% or even less active isomer content. Consumer Labs tested 30 preparations of SAME-e and only 4 had the acceptable "active ion" SAM-e content.
Once tableted, it must be enteric coated to preserve stability. This technology was not readily available until the 1990’s, hence SAMe’s long road to mainstream popularity.
BIOVEA SAM-e is the highest potency, most scientifically advanced and most highly stabilized SAM-e product available today!
What is SAMe?
SAMe (S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine) acts like a vitamin especially for your mood, your joints and your liver. SAMe can help you feel better physically and emotionally naturally, safely, effectively.
SAM-e is a natural substance that is in every living cell and helps make the brain chemicals (called neurotransmitters) that affect your mood. The most remarkable thing about SAM-e is that it can help you in so many different ways. Not only is SAM-e known for helping to boost mood, but it plays a big role in how you move and how you feel. For example, SAM-e helps support your cartilage—the “cushiony” substance that acts as a shock absorber in your joints. SAM-e has even been observed to support the liver in its cleansing function.
Health Benefits of SAMe:
The body manufactures SAMe from methionine, an amino acid found in protein-rich foods, and adenosine triphosphate (ATP), an energy-producing compound found in all the body's cells. The SAMe molecule then donates a piece of itself (a methyl group) to body tissues and organs, providing a critical link in methylation, a chemical reaction that occurs billions of times a second throughout the body. In giving up a part of itself, SAMe promotes cell growth and repair.
SAMe also contributes to the formation of key compounds in the brain, including the neurotransmitter dopamine and the mood-enhancer serotonin. In addition, it helps to maintain desirable levels of glutathione, a major antioxidant that protects against cell damage from oxygen molecules called free radicals. Taken as a supplement, SAMe compensates for any deficiencies and encourages the body to run efficiently.
Why Take SAMe?
• Relieve depression and stress-related blues: Several studies indicate that SAMe eases mild to moderately severe depression. A sweeping review of dozens of small clinical trials (called a "meta-analysis") testing SAMe for depression concluded that it appears to work as well as the frequently prescribed tricyclic antidepressants (imipramine, amitriptyline, desipramine) in easing depression. Just as importantly, it works faster, often starting to improve mood within a week. This contrasts significantly with standard antidepressants, whose effects can take several weeks to become apparent. In a University of California study of 17 severely depressed adults, 62% of the participants who took SAMe for four weeks (1,600 mg daily) showed significant improvements in symptoms, compared to 50% of those who used desipramine (a conventional antidepressant). Unlike many prescription antidepressants, which often cause unpleasant side effects such as as drowsiness, dry mouth, and constipation, SAMe appears to cause few if any side effects.
• Lessen arthritis-related pain and inflammation: The eventual breakdown of SAMe in the body yields substances that help to keep the gel-like cartilage that cushions joints intact. In the common degenerative joint disease osteoarthritis, cartilage wears down over time. Studies in thousands of osteoarthritis sufferers have demonstrated that SAMe can be as effective at increasing joint mobility and reducing swelling and pain as such NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories) as ibuprofen and aspirin. Moreover, SAMe doesn't pose the risk of stomach bleeding or kidney damage that are serious risks with NSAIDs. It also doesn't wear down joints, damage cartilage, or block the pain signals that could signal a worsening condition. Although it's not exactly clear how SAMe works for arthritis, very preliminary but intriguing animal studies actually point to a role in repairing cartilage and lubricating joints, properties that may well extend to humans. Clearly more research is needed.
• Control back pain: SAMe may improve back pain when taken for several weeks, a function of its ability to reduce swelling and pain. The theory is that SAMe takes part in the repair and restoration of spinal discs, cartilage, and the articulating surfaces of joints. Obviously, this takes time. So if you're using SAMe for back pain, don't expect the immediate symptom relief that you get with NSAIDs such as Motrin or COX-2 inhibitors such as Vioxx and Celebrex.
To avoid a toxic buildup of homocysteine molecules (which are formed when SAMe breaks down) be sure to take a high-quality vitamin B complex supplement along with SAMe. These vitamins disarm homocysteine, which in high concentrations poses the risk of various health problems including heart attack and stroke. A standard recommendation is to take 100 mg of a B complex once a day, regardless of the SAMe dose.
If you're particularly sensitive to medications, start out with half the recommended daily dosage and work up to the full amount after a week.
For depression, arthritis, fibromylagia and liver disorders:
Take 400 mg of SAMe twice a day. If symptoms fail to improve after three weeks, try increasing your dose to 400 mg three times a day. On the other hand, if symptoms lessen with 400 mg twice a day, you can try to lower the dose to 200 mg twice a day.
Guidelines for Use:
SAMe is best absorbed on an empty stomach, so try to take it about one hour before or two hours after meals. If nausea or heartburn develop, take it with plenty of water.
To prevent insomnia, don't take SAMe late in the day. Most people report a mild energy boost with the supplement.
SAMe can safely be combined with other natural antidepressants such as St. John's wort, as well as conventional antidepressants.
Don't take SAMe with MAO inhibitor antidepressants.
Clinically proven to help with mood support, joint comfort and liver health.
SAM-e is involved in over 40 biochemical reactions in the body. SAM-e is involved in methylation in the body, which is critical in the manufacturing of many body components, such as brain neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. SAM-e helps regulate these neurotransmitters, that affect our mood. SAM-e is also required for sulfur-containing compounds, such as glutathione, which is a powerful antioxidant in the body that helps fight off substances that damage our cells, particularly in the liver. SAM-e is involved in maintaining and manufacturing cartilage components. Because of the different reactions SAM-e is involved, its benefits vary from joint and liver health, to mood enhancement. SAM-e is recommended to be part of a daily regimen for Mood/Emotional Well-Being, Bone/Joint Health.