A A A
Beta-Carotene: An Anti-Ageing micronutrient of the highest order!
• Has been shown to delay the progression of age related cataracts
• Important for cardiovascular health
• May support healthy immune function
• A powerful antioxidant
• Protects the skin against sunburn
What is Beta-Carotene?
Beta-carotene, best known as a precursor for Vitamin A, is an important antioxidant that helps to prevent harmful free radical damage in the body. Beta-carotene belongs to a group of plant compounds called carotenoids. These are the pigments that provide the yellow, orange, and red colouration in fruits and vegetables. Beta-carotene is the most abundant carotenoid in human foods and is thought to be the most important carotenoid for humans. Enzymes in the intestines convert beta-carotene to vitamin A whenever it is needed.
Beta-carotene occurs exclusively in plant (fruit and vegetable) foods. Foods containing high amounts of beta-carotene are green leafy vegetables, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, spinach, apricots, peaches, cantaloupe, and green, yellow and red peppers.
Why take Beta-Carotene?
• Eye Health: A diet with a high intake of beta carotene, vitamins C and E, and zinc is associated with a substantially reduced risk of age-related macular degeneration in elderly persons, according to a study in the December 28 issue of JAMA. Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a degenerative disorder of the macula, the central part of the retina, and is the most common cause of irreversible blindness in developed countries, according to background information in the article. Late-stage AMD results in an inability to read, recognise faces, drive, or move freely. The prevalence of late AMD steeply increases with age, affecting 11.5 percent of white persons older than 80 years. In the absence of effective treatment for AMD, the number of patients severely disabled by late-stage AMD is expected to increase in the next 20 years by more than 50 percent to 3 million. One study (called AREDS) showed that supplements containing 5 to 13 times the recommended daily allowance of beta carotene, vitamins C and E, and zinc given to participants with early or single eye late AMD resulted in a 25 percent reduction in the 5-year progression to late AMD.
• Antioxidant Properties: In recent years, carotenoids including beta-carotene have received a tremendous amount of attention as potential anti-ageing compounds. Beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant, protecting the cells of the body from damage caused by free radicals. It is also one of the carotenoids believed to enhance the function of the immune system.
Who is likely to be deficient?
People who limit their consumption of beta-carotene-containing vegetables could be at higher risk of developing a vitamin A deficiency. Very old persons with type 2 diabetes have shown a significant age-related decline in blood levels of carotenoids, irrespective of their dietary intake.
• If you are pregnant or lactating consult a health care practitioner prior to using Beta Carotene.
• Smokers should not take Beta-Carotene supplements without first consulting a health care practitioner.
• Consult a health care practitioner prior to using Beta carotene if you have hypothyroidism, kidney, liver or eating disorders.
• Occasional side effects reported with large doses of Beta Carotene include a harmless orange colouring of the skin called carotenosis, discontinue use and consult a health care practitioner if you experience this.
A A A
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 100
Amount Per Serving:
• Vitamin A (as 100% Beta Carotene) 25,000 IU
Other Ingredients: Rice flour, gelatin, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate.
Allergen Information: May contain traces of milk, egg, fish, shellfish, tree nut, wheat and soy ingredients. Contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
Net Weight: 52.5g
A A A
Take one (1) capsule daily with a meal.
Warning: If you are pregnant or lactating, consult a health care professional before using this product. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the safety seal on the bottle is broken.